Thursday, January 25, 2007

The Pope's Cologne



Do people disregard your liturgical authority? Doubt your holiness? Wear the Pope's Cologne and smell pontifical! Or do you just need a gift for your ambitious parish priest? This is for real. Who could make this up?

Okay, others blogged this at least a month ago, but I just found it. A company in San Rafael produces The Pope's Cologne. The website reads:
"....a fresh new fragrance from the past."
"The Pope’s Cologne is a classic Old World cologne made from the private formula of Pope Pius IX (1792-1878). We obtained this formula from descendants of the commander of his Papal Guard and lifelong friend, General Charles Charette. We have followed this complex, exclusive formula meticulously, using the same essential oils that his perfumers used 150 years ago. We believe that we have succeeded in capturing the same fragrance that he and those around him enjoyed so long ago. This is a truly extraordinary cologne with surprising freshness and notes of violet and citrus. We are pleased that you will have the opportunity to enjoy this wonderful, historic fragrance. It is an honor for us to be able to produce it and make it available for your pleasure today."

But seriously, folks, imagine of the benefits of owning your own bottle of The Pope's Cologne...(harp arpeggio, please)
--It gives me that "just-saw-the-pope" feeling of superiority.
--Not only am I holier than thou--now I SMELL holier than thou!
--I'm going to give a bottle to our new, ambitious pastor!
--I like to wear it around dissenting clergy. It really makes them nervous!
--The fragrance lingers in a room long after I've left. I think of it as a territorial marker: "Catholics have been here."
--I find that it repels those who would try to convert me. They know that I have such confidence in my faith that they don't even bother.
--I find it really helps to identify proper papal people.
--I only wish it came in fragrances of other popes-- SPX, JPII, etc.
--"No, really darling, I was with the pope today!"
--It's the scent of authority!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

People really like The Pope's Cologne and as I have watched many as they first smell it, I notice that their eyes widen and they are surprised because the fragrance is so clean and fresh and entirely unlike the synthetic fragrances that they are accustomed to smelling from Nordstrom and Macy's.It is almost an exalting fragrance.
And it is fun to imagine Giovanni Maria Mastai-Feretti wearing this very same cologne in his papal apartments and in the streets of Rome where he often rode a burro.
I'm very happy that everyone enjoys it.