Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Chanter's Anthem

(tune: To Dream the Impossible Dream)

To chant the antiphonal psalm
To know the Gregorian modes
To master the difficult introit
To know where the breaths should all go

To lose the vibrato-y sound
A tone that is straight I desire
A voice that is pure and so pray’rful
and blends with a unison choir

This is my quest:
In chant to expound
Be one of the schola
A joy so profound

At end of the psalms
in humility bowed
sing my Gloria Patris with
endings I know are allowed

And I’ll know what the squiggly things do
how quilisma’s expressed
And I’ll feel monophonic delight
and my heart will be blessed.

And the world will be better for this
that one voice undistinguished alone
can soar up to God in his glory
by chanting Gregorian chant!

4 comments:

Kathleen Pluth said...

Brilliant!!

Lynn said...

Beautiful!

Anonymous said...

You have a gift..

Anonymous said...

Excellent!

(I feel guilty and chastened that my parodies are oft times mean.)

Gadfly