Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Another Conversion


Feast of the Conversion of St. Paul
St. Paul and I have something in common--a startling conversion! I'm a recovering liturgical guitarist. I was "knocked off my horse" when I realized that, although the Church considers her musical tradition to be a "treasure of inestimable value, greater even than that of any other art," this treasure was almost lost. I say that I'm recovering, not cured, because I still have a soft spot in my heart that finds the pop sound alluring, and many of the people who do it sincere. Pop liturgical music was a part of my formation.

But I have put away my guitar for liturgies. I love and value the Church's musical tradition more, and the Church, the Bride of Christ desires it. I have dedicated my professional life to its restoration in the liturgy. Generations of Catholics have never heard it done well, if they have ever heard it at all. It's no wonder that pop liturgical music is the path of least resistance, but when has the Church ever asked us to take the easy way?

1 comment:

Jeff Miller said...

Here is a blog from another former liturgical guitarist

Michael Inman

http://www.vci.net/%7Einmanmj/weblog/